While I was waiting for Edie, I chatted with Todd Coleman, who is the assistant vice president for admissions. I happened to tell him what my website was about and he happened to comment on it in an interesting way.
He mentioned something about the startling difference in the salaries of those in the development office and those in the admissions office.
I thought, "Huh."
It seems like to me admission counselors should be paid more than what they get--aren't they the first, and therefore the most important, step at a tuition-driven institution like Wartburg? Or do most schools see the admissions counselors as young, desperate just-out-of-college individuals?
Edie said it was just the way it works in higher education, and although she is trying to fix it, it cannot be done in a year or even a few. She also said there wasn't a whole lot of focus on it in journals or publications like The Chronicle of Higher Education.
Seems like something someone should look into.
Wednesday, May 26, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment